The next Community Council meeting is Wednesday
6th June 2018 at 7.30pm
in Llandyssil Old School
Brynderwen Bridge, which spans the River Severn at Abermule, was designed by Thomas Penson, theCounty Surveyor, and constructed in 1852 to replace the wooden bridge swept away earlier that year.
This grade II* listed bridge is the 34th from the source of the Severn, and only the second one in Montgomeryshire to be constructed of iron. With a single span of 33 metres, its sections were cast at the Brymbo Steel Works at Wrexham. Highly regarded, Thomas Penson (1790 -1859) was also responsible for the first iron bridge at Llandinam, in 1846, and the third at Caerhowel, in 1858, as well as for designing stone bridges at Newtown, Caersws, and Llanidloes.
The community of Llandyssil took its current form in the 1986 Review, when a warded community comprising the new village of Abermule and the historical village of Llandyssil was created from the former communities of Llandyssil, Llanmerewig and parts of the former Newtown and Bettws communities.
The topography of the community is defined by the valley of the river Severn, the road and rail routes that follow its course, and the hills and tributary valleys leading away from it. Settlement in this community is defined in particular by the routes that lead to the A483 and Newtown.
Both Abermule and Llandyssil have seen a significant amount of development in recent years. Abermule is classified as a key settlment in the Unitary Development Plan, benefiting from a good range of community services and infrastructure and having the capacity to accommodate additional development.
Llandyssil is classified as a small village, having some community services and facilities, but being served by access roads that are not of the highest quality. The small village of Aberbechan, with its limited community services and facilities, straddles the community boundary with Newtown and Llanllwchaiarn, a point to which we shall return.
The remainder of the population lives in scattered farms and dwellings and in the small rural settlements of Green Lane and Llanmerewig.